Chicago Family Lawyer
Family law is an area of law that focuses on family relationships. It includes marriage, divorce, children, adoption, domestic violence, and more.
These topics involve our loved ones, such as spouses and children. Therefore, they can be very emotionally charged. Family law issues can be contentious. Seek legal help from a Chicago family lawyer from Birnbaum Gelfman Sharma & Arnoux, LLC. Our top notch lawyers can resolve your issues with ease and help you move on.
- Child Custody
- Cohabitation Agreements
- Collaborative Divorce
- Contempt & Enforcement
- Divorce Appeals
- Divorce Mediation
- Domestic Violence
- Grandparents’ Rights
- High Net Worth Divorce
- Military Divorce
- Postnuptial Agreements
- Prenuptial Agreements
- Property Division
- Uncontested Divorce
Elements of Family Law
Family law and divorce may encompass various elements, such as:
- Property division. Dividing assets can be a contentious issue in any type of divorce, but especially in a high asset one. Property is divided equitably under Illinois law, which means it is split fairly, but not necessarily 50/50.
- Child custody. Child custody involves the maintenance and control of children during a divorce or separation proceeding. There are two main types of custody: legal and physical. Legal custody refers to which parent makes important decisions for the child, such as medical care, religion, and education. Physical custody refers to where the child stays.
- Child support. Both parents have an obligation to financially support their children, so when one parent has custody, the other parent is obligated to pay child support. Child support is not optional and it cannot be waived. Under Illinois law, child support is based on the percentage of the parent’s net income and the number of children.
- Alimony. Alimony is a financial award given from one spouse to another. While not available in all divorces, it does take place when the spouses have very different earnings capabilities. It helps the lower-earning spouse maintain their standard of living until they can get a job.
Why Hire a Chicago Family Law Attorney
Family law is a relatively broad practice area and the matters hit close to home, so having a trusted legal professional on your side can be very helpful. Here are some reasons to hire a family law attorney:
- In a divorce, a lawyer can help you devise a settlement plan so you can avoid going to court. Divorce attorneys can also help divide marital property, calculate alimony, and propose palms for child custody and support. While there are ways to do a DIY divorce, it is not recommended based on the various elements involved.
- When it comes to child custody and child support matters, it’s best to have a lawyer on your side. These court orders often change over time due to finances and relocation.
- Paternity issues can rear their head and it’s important that men who are accused of being a child’s father understand their legal rights. Mothers will typically file paternity suits to secure child support payments, so DNA testing may be necessary.
Contact Birnbaum Gelfman Sharma & Arnoux, LLC Today
Family law encompasses many elements. Don’t handle these issues on your own. Get the right legal help from an experienced team of professionals.
Get help from one of Chicago’s leading divorce lawyers. The team at Birnbaum Gelfman Sharma & Arnoux, LLC can guide you through the process. Contact our experienced Chicago family lawyers today. Give us a call at (312) 863-2800 or use the web form to contact us.