Lisa K. Nelson
A former social worker, Lisa K. Nelson has dedicated her career to advocating for children and families and her practice is solely geared toward divorce and other family law matters.
A 1993 graduate of DePaul University College of Law, Lisa spent 25 years with the Cook County Office of the Public Guardian, where she represented children in child protection cases and in domestic relations matters.
A strong advocate and skilled negotiator, Lisa’s focus is to ensure her client’s voices are heard in those matters that affect them most. Her extensive experience working with families in crisis and her zealous advocacy skills assist her clients in successfully navigating the difficult and emotional legal process of a divorce or child-related matter. Lisa sees each family situation as unique. She is compassionate, diligent and dedicated to helping her clients achieve a fair and just result. As someone who went through a divorce and raised a child as a single parent, she also has a perspective some family lawyers may not fully appreciate.
Lisa joined the firm as a partner in 2019 and is pleased to work with other lawyers who share her passion for client-centered advocacy. She is a court-approved mediator for family law cases and continues to provide court-appointed representation for children.
- DePaul University College of Law, J.D., 1993
- University of Northern Iowa, B.A., social work, 1983
- Leading Lawyers, 2019-present
- DePaul University College of Law Schiller, DuCanto & Fleck Family Law Center Advisory Board
- Vice Chair, 2020-2021
- Cook County Circuit Court Domestic Relations Division
- Child Representative Screening Committee
- Child Representative Training Committee
- Child Representative Seminar Committee
- Association of Family and Conciliation Courts
- Illinois State Bar Association
- Child Law Section Council
- West Suburban Bar Association
- Illinois, 1993