Switch to ADA Accessible Theme
Close Menu
Chicago Divorce Lawyer > Chicago Post-Judgment Modifications Lawyer

Chicago Post-Judgment Modifications Lawyer

Once your divorce is finalized and you have the final decree in your hand, you may think you’re all good. Nothing can change now, right? Wrong.

Life changes in an instant. A person who is earning good money now may lose their job. They may suddenly become disabled or even incapacitated. So if you’re receiving a specific amount of alimony or child support, know that the amount could change if the payer experiences a significant life change.

It is possible to modify an existing court order relating to child custody, visitation, child support, or alimony if it involves the child or recipient directly. This is called a post-judgment modification. While the modification may be money-related, it doesn’t have to be. It can also be initiated by something such as abuse or neglect of the child by the custodial parent.

Are you facing financial issues and need to modify your current agreement? Or maybe your child is being abused by the custodial parent and you want to modify custody. In these situations, you need the right legal help on your side. A Chicago post-judgment modifications lawyer from Birnbaum Gelfman Sharma & Arnoux, LLC can assess your situation and determine if you qualify for a modification.

Child Custody Modification

A child custody order may be modified if the child’s well-being is directly impacted. Some examples include a change in a parent’s work hours, relocation of the custodial parent, or something as severe as abuse or neglect of the child. Other changes in circumstances may include mental illness, substance abuse, and incarceration. In these situations, the non-custodial parent can ask for a modification in custody.

Child Support Modification

If you cannot afford your current child support payment, do not simply stop paying it. You will end up in arrears and could face serious penalties, such as professional license loss, driver’s license suspension, and even incarceration. As a first step, though, your wages may be garnished or your tax refund may be intercepted.

Keep in mind that Illinois has guidelines in place that establish minimum amounts based upon the payer’s income and the number of children. Child support may be modified if there is a substantial change in financial circumstances, such as a parent losing their job.

If a parent loses their job or suffers any other financial hardship, they are entitled to seek modification of child support. This may include a reduction or suspension of payments.

You may not know it, but it is also possible for child support to be increased when the payer’s income increases due to a new job, raise, or any type of windfall (such as an inheritance or lottery winning). The recipient parent can file a modification to get an increase in child support payments.

Contact Birnbaum Gelfman Sharma & Arnoux, LLC Today

Life is never constant. Things change and these changes may require modifications to divorce decrees.

The team at Birnbaum Gelfman Sharma & Arnoux, LLC can guide you through the modification process. Schedule a consultation with our firm today. To speak to a Chicago post-judgment modifications lawyer today, fill out the online form or call (312) 863-2800.

Share This Page:
Facebook Twitter LinkedIn